Sunday, September 11, 2005

Teeny Tiny Hems

I learned a wonderful thing today, from Threads magazine. How to make a beautiful, tiny rolled hem. This couture technique will make my life SO MUCH EASIER. I hate sewing hems, especially on bias-cut or curved items because they never seem to come out right. This rolled hem technique is so easy and so fine that bias issues never come up, because you're always sewing right on the edge of a crease, where the iron has already smoothed out any creases. It's a lovely feeling to create a hem that hangs perfectly. Observe the rolled hem, magnified many times:



And the finished skirt, with rolled hem, bias-taped and interlined waistband facing, flat-felled seams and 100% finished seam allowances. And a wonky zipper, but that's not surprising, considering who was doing the sewing.



And my new skirt, posing by my new (to me, my inlaws found it on the side of the road) piano.



In knitting news, I've started a purse, knit from my own handspun, to be felted and edged with Fun Fur yarn, a la Wendy's kitty beds.

2 Comments:

Blogger Teyani said...

gorgeous skirt - great drape!

I don't know how you manage to sew AND knit.. not a feat I've accomplished yet. My sewing (quilting) went by the by when I began knitting.
pretty homespun too by the way!

9:10 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Thanks, Teyani. I sew out of necessity--lots of fabric, and no money to buy clothes. And skirts only take a couple of hours to sew, generally.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home